Wednesday, September 24, 2008

A pretty tart and the relevent citation


Morning, Friends!

I have something lovely and full of fall inspiration to share with you today, easy peasy with a short cut but also not overwhelming without. I adapted the Pear Almond Tart below from a recipe in this past month's Food and Wine Magazine. I do so hope it brings a little sparkling pear to your autumnal table.

The review of this recipe reminded me of one of those things that can I think can really make or break food bloggers in general: They need to cite their credits. In the blogosphere, there are a lot of information hounds, like myself: Great readers of everything put on paper and blogged in the given subject range in which we are interested. I think it an important quality in bloggers, especially those like myself who have not had the benefit of culinary school and have learned largely from books and magazines, that they try to return credit for adapting recipes from their source. One blogger who I have always found is as honest as the day is long, is Orangette, whose blogging popularity is not at all crippled by the fact that she admits to learning from others.

Recently I noted another remarkably popular food blog which hacked a recipe virtually verbatim from a recent publication (which is okay - you know, whatever) of Gourmet Magazine, but failed to site Gourmet as her resource (totally and completely not okay). You know what happened next surely: That blog is off my reading list.

It's like this: If it ran in an American food publication in the last ten years, I have read it and likely saved it somewhere. It seems to me from the emails I receive that many of you readers have the same commitment to food publications. I don't mind if you use inspiration. Heck, I was fashion design, inspiration (aka knock off's) are the biggest section of the game from mid market to bottom. So, I get it. But you know, I was history major in college and ol' Professor Deasy there at Providence College (God protect him)... Well, he seared correct citation into our souls, not just for accuracy, but because when it is all said and done: For respect of another's hard work.

I thank you for reading with me, and in turn, I will never knowingly try to pull the wool over your eyes regarding who started me down any one of these marvelous paths.


Pear and Almond Tart
adapted from Food and Wine Magazine, Racines
Serves 8

It is really imperative that you taste the pears you are using. They should be flavorful and have a bit of bite but most of all, they should taste like a pear.

Baked pastry shell (yes, you can use a ready made pie crust)
3/4 cup almond flour
1/3 cup slivered almonds
1 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons unsalted butter plus 2 tablespoons melted, more for greasing tart pan
3 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
3 large bosc pears, peeled, cored, and sliced 1/4 inch thick
1/4 cup light brown sugar

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 9 inch fluted tart pan with removable bottom. Place the pastry shell into the tart pan, fit to sides, remove excess from edges, pick shell all over with a fork, cover with tin foil, and weight with pie weights. Bake for 25 minutes. Remove from the oven, and cool at least 20 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

Combine the almond flour, granulated sugar, all-purpose flour, and salt in a medium bowl. Stir to combine evenly. In a mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, place the 4 tablespoons softened butter. Beat for 30 seconds. Add the almond mixture and beat again until combined. Scrape down the bowl. Add the eggs one at a time, then the vanilla and almond extracts, beating between each addition.

Spread the almond filling in the pastry shell and spread evenly. Arrange the pear slices in concentric circles, you needn't be too particular about it. Bruch the pear slices evenly and all over with the melted butter. Sprinkle brown sugar evenly over the top of the tart.

Bake for 1 hour, until the filling is set and the top is golden brown. Transfer the tart to a rack and let cool slightly. Remove the tart ring and serve warm or at room temperture with sweetened whipped cream.

2 comments:

Maggie said...

Ooh this looks nice. I am a big fan of tarts and cooked pears both, so I am bookmarking this one.

Also a huge fan of Food and Wine—and I, too, want to know when people are cooking from the glossies! It's really valuable to know how those recipes actually are, and what modifications should be made to make them better, etc!!

The Blushing Hostess said...

Hey Maggie, Be sure you slide a sheet pan under this tart. Blushing Hostess Homekeeping will be focusing on oven cleaning now... ah-hem. Be well, Catherine