Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Grandmother's Roast Beef

This is without a doubt my favorite Roast Beef recipe though there is little herein terms of direction. Both my Mother and Grandmother have a way with this recipe, more of a cadence than a method. I have copied it for you exactly as it is written in my Mom's hand when she scribbled it inside the back page of her cook book. It seems to me a crime to alter it in anyway, I can imagine this is exactly as it was quoted to her. That accuracy is important in the life of a family. Not only is this precious to me because it was the one my Grandmother made on Sundays, but also because it proves a gorgeous, tasty roast. Generally, you will need a 3 or 4 pound roast, and it should be very generously crusted with kosher salt and pepper.

She served this with her famous potatoes, which is not yet a recipe I am ready to share though, for the life of me, I do not know why...

Grandma Christine's Roast Beef
Mt. Kisco, New York

Heat oven 450 degrees. Put meat in, cook for 45 minutes. Turn off oven, allow to sit for 2 hours. Do not open the oven. Half an hour before dinner, turn on oven to 350 and cook for 1/2 hour. This will not make drippings for gravy.

No comments: