Friday, August 15, 2008

Bird on a wing

It seems as though life can just take off like the fastest of birds on wing at times. It took me only a moment, in the great universal scheme of things, to return to you. Though, in truth, it took a couple of weeks. A lot of changes have occurred here, certainly, since I have been gone from you.

Pregnancy has brought on some difficulties. At times rendering me completely useless. At other times causing me to demand salads at every meal, several days of sushi, or the truly inexplicable urge to eat a plate of Olive Garden lasagna, a demand for which I know of no orgin: I cannot remember having any point of reference to crave such a thing. But, off we went nonetheless. This too will pass, but probably not before my friends end up in every ethnic food joint from here to the south end of Tenth Avenue. Look, if you need to have food cravings, there is no better place than New York City: Every food you could dream of, from every region of the world, around the clock.

Also in the meantime, Josh has once again departed for yet another deployment. It is always with mixed emotions that we, as a family, yield to the needs of a nation with much responsibility world wide. But, we think about about your freedom and our own, and we nod to the looming absence: This constant companion is as much a responsibility in this house as keeping a roof above our heads and raising our children. Long ago it became clear to me that my husband and his esteemed colleagues do not have jobs, they have callings. For this reason, we sometimes see the running of a household and a family differently than our peer group. But I will say this about those peers: While they cannot imagine what this life is like, they have never failed to support it and to put thier own blood, sweat, and tears into making this work for our family when we need it. I have always found this a noble pursuit all it's own. I am never without a hand when I need it. Never without a family member or a friend who can be on the next plane. That is a good feeling.

On another far afield note, one of the great marks of a lady or gentlemen is their ability to act appropriately in society. The intention of advancing that ability in myself and encouraging it at large is one of the chief goals of this blog. The critical events that I recount from the life of a family are part of my blog which is pursuant to a larger goal of mine. At times, my choice to write publicly as part of the Hostessing forum herein causes my family members to receive email from people they would rather not hear from discussing subjects that are personal within in the close-to-anonymous life of a chronicled Internet family. My Husband has been continually gracious with me in this respect. I am amazed by his patience in having corners of our lives laid bare. A lesser person might not be so understanding or gentlemanly. I am hoping you can help me to insure these blogs are an invitation for comment on the subjects covered within the Comment structure laid out by Blogger below, not cause to pepper other family members with commentary in other venues. I will be grateful for your help as always...

Because of all of this deploying, we have traveled home to be with our family. Or, more specifically, with my Mom, to hang around her during her recent surgery. She is doing great. But you see what I mean when I say that sometimes the speed and regularity of stunningly relevent events can cause one to lose track of time. I realized that I had been remiss in sharing with you a dish we have always enjoyed a brunch and which was recently served successfully at a Sunday meal in our home for six. It is a staple in my brunch arsenal and I hope it will become an oft-returned to classic at your early Sunday table as well. This is my way of making up all my silent, non-blogging days.



Brunch Souffle
adapted from Huevos Quiche, St. Augustine Inns
Serves 8

This is a light, fluffy version of a crustless quiche. I have used crab meat here, you might enjoy substituting mild or spicy sausage or chorizo. I have made it happily also with shrimp and prosciutto and serrano ham. Easy and adaptable!

Canola oil spray for greasing casserole dish
8 eggs, soundly beaten
1/4 cup melted butter
1 1/2 cups small curd whole fat cottage cheese
1 1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese, grated
1 cup corn
1 cup lump crab meat
1 bunch scallions, finely chopped
1/2 cup flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon adobo seasoning
1 teaspoon garlic powder
Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a casserole dish of about 8"x12" or close.

In a large bowl, combine the beaten eggs, melted butter, cottage and cheddar cheeses, scallions, corn and crab, or your protein of choice. In a small combine the dry ingredients: Flour, baking powder, adobo, garlic powder, salt and pepper, stir to combine. Add the dry ingredients to the egg mixture and wisk vigorously until evenly combined.

Pour into greased casserole dish and bake for 40 minutes or until golden brown and set. Allow the casserole to cool at least ten minutes before serving.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your blog is really cute :D.

We would like to feature your souffle on our blog. Please email sophiekiblogger@gmail.com if interested. Thanks :)

You can view our blog here:
blog.keyingredient.com/